Monday, April 13, 2009

sym

All you need is hate: Today's Snow Job Official Enemies List

I've been in this blogging game for a minute now. When I started out, Daily Kos was only published every week, Andrew Sullivan felt that liberals were a "fifth column" and considered Dick Cheney "sexy", it was possible for left-wing and right-wing bloggers to agree about stuff, and Mickey Kaus was a useless contrarian douchebag with a face made for blogging (I guess some things never change.)

I wouldn't say that experience has begat any particular wisdom, though I like to think my dick jokes have become more sophisticated over the years. But in my role as TSJ's official Hater Player (our other roles: Wide-Eyed Naif aka Good Man, Comissioner for Life), I'd like to share the only thing I've really picked up about the game these past few years: you gotta hate someone. You need an enemy, someone who you can clown when they're wrong, root for the firing of, make fun of their taste in nightlife, and mock pitilessly when they marry one of their commenters. Without an enemy, all we are doing is celebrating, worshipping, and adoring stuff we like, and nobody wants to read about that.

So have at it. Who/what do we hate? It can be a public figure, another blogger, or even an abstract intangible concept that is impossible to meaningfully defeat. A few preemptive disqualifications:

Glenn Beck
(because at this point, it's like making fun of the pantsless mentally handicapped man on the corner drunkenly raving about the helicopters).
Sean Orr (because he's like the town bicycle, every other blog in Vancouver already took a ride).
Kanye West (because Love Lockdown was actually a pretty cool song).

Besides them, the field is wide open. Hate! Hate! HATE!

P.S. Rereading my old blog after all these years was a surprisingly unembarassing experience. That said, if you are looking for yet another reason to never listen to anything I say, number 1 in this post should do the trick nicely.

2 comments:

sym said...

30 links in a single post! Beat that, bitches!

Yes We Can said...

In my humble opinion this is the best question yet, can't wait to see the answers.

Post a Comment